Thanks Overstock for teaming up with me on this post!
As you guys know, a few months ago I was invited to tour Overstock’s headquarters and get to know their staff (here’s the recap in case you missed it). I absolutely fell in love with the whole team and the company.
And guess what? I’m doing another project with them that makes me SO happy. Why? Overstock asked me to give away a room. Um, yes please!
The first person that came to mind is my big sister Kate. She just moved into a new (to her) house that is perfect for her family. I’ll be sharing more details later in this post – but first, the holidays wouldn’t be complete without a gift guide!
Gifting season is here! I love the idea of giving items (or entire rooms!) that will warm up someone’s home in a major way! I pulled a few of my favorite items from Overstock that will be going in the room that I think will make the perfect gifts. Overstock shared my picks with those of 5 other amazing home bloggers here:
- Crenshaw wing chair. This chair is the perfect neutral chair. It has personality with the curvy wings. The textured wood adds some nice character. This chair would be so pretty for a reading corner or next to the guest room bed. This is a comfortable and stylish chair that will make you the star gift giver!
- Faux fur throw blanket. With the cold weather coming, what better way to say “let’s cuddle?” than with a cozy faux fur blanket?! These come in 3 colors, and I love the white faux fur for some chic layering.
- Mongolian Lamb Fur Pillow. My favorite trend for the fall/winter is texture. Here’s the thing- it’s going to be freezing and the only way to feel better about that is by making your home as cozy as possible. How to do that? Texture. I love adding a dash of color (say yes to pink!) with a Mongolian wool pillow and bonus points because there are 7 color options for this pillow to match your hostess’s color scheme.
- Storage Basket. Guys, baskets are so big right now! They are the perfect accessory because they can hold throw blankets, a plant, or even magazines! Plus they can act as the cutest wrapping for the rest of your gift. I love the bleached bottom to this one and the fun tassels- it’s all in the details!
- Marble Globe. For my last pick, I wanted a fun globe that will work in any home. If you and your friends and family are as travel obsessed as I am, this is a great gift. A globe is the perfect finishing accessory for an office, living room, or entry. I love the marble and wood base on this one- it adds beautiful interest.
All of these items are from Overstock. I am honestly blown away each time I visit their site to work on a new project- they really have everything! Even gifting items! Plus, there’s free shipping over $45 because no on likes to pay for shipping ;). Let’s all pinky promise to give our friends and family stuff that they’ll actually use and love- k?! Things that will make a house a home and that when they see it they’ll think of you.
Oh, and one last thing. If you haven’t downloaded Overstock’s app yet, you totally should! They have an AR feature where you can visualize thousands of thousands of home products in your own house. They will be offering deals and discounts on home items everyday- and you know I love a good deal! If you want to try out being a Club O member- its a loyalty rewards program. Here’s the perks- you get free shipping on every order, at least 5% in reward dollars for all purchases, and up to 20% in rewards on hundreds of select products.
which room I’ll be working on:
With the holidays coming up, it is the ideal time to freshen up rooms where you’ll have company over- like the living room, dining room, and guest room. My sister’s guest room held the extra boxes from their move and so we decided that’d be the room that I’d tackle. It is fun that there’s no furniture that has to stay there- everything can be new and fresh.
Here’s what to love about the room- there are high ceilings and it’s a generous size. The tricky parts are that it is in a basement with one window that doesn’t get a lot of light and there is dark carpet.
We’re working with the carpet, but since Kate and I didn’t like the wall color, she agreed to paint it. I wanted to go white since that is what I love in my house, but with the walls not getting much natural light, I knew I needed some pigment on the walls.
paint: Frappe by Valspar
I painted some swatches on the wall and ended up selecting the color Frappe by Valspar. It’s a beige/grey color that still looks pretty, but is much more toned down from the before color. Here’s my sister’s cute kids getting the room all painted with the new color:
My sister recently went on the trip of a lifetime to India. I thought it would be fun to use some global influences so she can have a room that reminds her of her travels. She went with a friend and did so many amazing things- I am insanely jealous and also happy that she got to see and experience such a different culture and way of life.
Here’s the mood board for her room. And I am so, so excited for it!!! There’s obvious Indian influences like the Buddah and elephant accessories. My sisters loves minty blues so I pulled that into the dresser, stool, and bedding. I wanted to choose an upholstered, and I love the personality the four posters on this bed bring out (and that they tie into the carpet color).
We have a big rug going into the room. If you ever need a room to feel pulled together- a rug is the easiest way to do so! It grounds the space and I love the criss cross pattern of this one. One of my favorite pieces is the art for over the bed- the wood carvings reminded me of the intricate patterns from India’s architecture.
Since it is a guest room, I wanted some benches for the base of the bed where it’d be easy to open luggage. The night stands will be matching on each side of the bed and have one drawer for a little storage. I like that they’re mostly open so that there’s lots of opportunity for displaying pretty accent pieces.
Every bedroom needs a mirror and I love this arch mirror that once again reminds me of Indian architecture. I am also planning on a woven wall hanging to add texture and interest to the wall. The beaded chandelier will hang above the bed and will be a great “crowning” effect to the room. I went with a lot of tone on tone ivory colors and think the variation in texture will be stunning!
I thought I was done with the room at this point, but I kept thinking it needed something more. What about an accent wall- just behind the bed? I considered board and batten, but didn’t love that. I’ve been wanting to do a white floral wallpaper forever so when I saw this mural, I knew it’d be perfect! Can you just imagine it with the bed and gorgeous wall hanging?!
Guys- I am so excited about this room makeover! The items are shipping and I can’t wait to install everything and see it come together. Can you think of a better feeling than giving someone a room?! My sister is so amazing- she watches my son for me even though she has 4 kids of her own. Growing up, I remember she would do my chores for me so I could play with my friends. I totally owe her!
my sister and I in 1987
In all seriousness, my sister is giving and loving. I’d do anything for her. I feel so lucky to be able to do this for her and she is so deserving.
I can’t wait to share the guest room with you! Check back in a few weeks, and of course, I’ll be sharing the progress on my Instagram stories.