Hi friends! So I’m getting really excited about our bathroom plans. And one key thing I’m on the lookout for is a good medicine cabinet. You know, something with both a mirror and storage that doesn’t look like it came from the 80s?😅 So I found a lot of good ones and put them together in the modern medicine cabinet roundup.
modern Medicine Cabinet Roundup
To start off, we have one full bathroom and one half bath in our Florida home. But we’re going to tackle the main bathroom first since it’s the one we all use the most. Also, it’s the bathroom our guests will see the most too.
Yes, that means three of us will be sharing it.🙃 That’s ok though! I’m just glad we also have the other half bath.
Also, since our main bathroom is on the small side, we have to maximize every bit of storage that we can. Including the medicine cabinet!
Currently, I don’t really love the one that came with the house (you can kind of see it in the above image). Which means I get to find a cute, but functional replacement!
Let’s just have a quick moment of silence for all the old styles of medicine cabinets that were just not pretty. *quick pause*
In the past, I’ve opted to not have a medicine cabinet because in my mind (and lots of other designer’s too), it felt clunky. I’d rather keep my stuff in the sink cabinet then have an ugly mirror taking up precious visual space any day! I grew up with a medicine cabinet and to me, it felt cluttered. Plus, isn’t that the first place people snoop when they visit your house?! Lol!
Here’s why I have hated medicine cabinets-
- They really lack beautiful style. Instead, the look like something (dated) that you grab off the shelf at a big box store- aka builder grade.
- There were either no frame (just a beveled edge) or the frame was silver (not my look) and thick
- They are a big commitment! If you want them recessed this seems like a permanent decision.
- On the other hand, if they stick out from the wall, they feel imposing on an already small room.
- Since medicine cabinets are a mirror and a cabinet in one, they are much more expensive than just a mirror. So you need a bigger budget for them.
Alrighty, so the good news is that medicine cabinets have come a lonnnng way!
here’s the benefit of a modern medicine cabinet-
- The designs have improved recently. You can totally have a beautiful mirror that comes with functional, recessed storage.
- Medicine cabinets really is the most convenient way to store tooth brushes, face wash, and nail clippers.
- Eye level storage is the easiest to access so that is definitely a plus.
- It’s found space. If you’re in a small home, going vertical with storage is a much. With a medicine cabinet, you’re adding storage where there just wasn’t before.
I’m going to show you just how pretty medicine cabinets can be below!
Modern Medicine Cabinets
1 Class brass rounded rectangle– comes in a few finishes! /2 light wood industrial– again, comes in a few finishes / 3 Black Modern rounded rectangle / 4 White with shelves (comes in brown too) / 5 Fancy Circles / 6 Lacquered White Mid Century / 7 Black Shelves in the back / 8 wood and brass / 9 wood mirror with lower shelf /
As you can see, there are so many good options out there! I love how some of them now have a natural wood look, instead of just metal on metal (even though the all metal ones above are super pretty!).
There are even fancy versions that slide open, like #1. But if you’re looking for larger options, #2 or #12 are good for multiple people.
Personally, I love the gold look! I’m thinking #9 or #5 would be pretty options. Even though I told you the reasons I hated the medicine cabinets above, I still think that I’ll stick to using one since there already is one in place and we use it SO much! Plus it is a 1950’s house and it feels historically correct to use one here. But I’ll just make it cute ;).
plans for my bathroom
Currently, my plan is to spruce up the bathroom while still keeping all of the tile and tub. Here’s a mood board so you can see my vision for the space. I’ve got to add in some pattern and fun! Oh, and pink 😉
Update- here’s how my DIY medicine cabinet turned out-
What about you? Which modern medicine cabinet would you want to have in your bathroom? Tell me in the comments below!
if you loved it, pin it!