This is it! The first week of the One Room Challenge! If you’ve been following along here long, you know I LOVE the challenge of redoing a room over 6 weeks from start to finish. In the past, I’ve done some of my favorite spaces as part of the ORC- like my bathroom and kitchen.
And this round? Well, I’m extra excited to be included as one of the featured designers!!! Its a huge honor. Honestly, I’ve dreamed of this for years. So thank you for reading here- it means the world to have your support! I’ll be posting my progress every Wednesday, so be sure to check in each week!
And now the question you’re all wondering- what room am I doing? My master bedroom! Here’s what it looked like with the house listing:
master bedroom before
Our house was built in 1905 and has charming details like the slanted ceilings. This room is definitely a blank slate and we haven’t done much since moving in besides adding a new ceiling fan and a gallery wall.
master bedroom now
To be 100% transparent, I cleaned this room like crazy before taking pictures! There was even one last unpacked box in here (and we moved in 2 months ago)…
Where to start? Well here’s a list of the big additions I’m planning on-
- replace the floors. They’re bamboo and badly dented. Plus they just don’t feel right in this Victorian home
- wallpaper the wall behind the vanity and bed. The wallpaper is below- this is the center of my design plan
- ship lap the ceiling- this will be a fun detail!
- build in a bookcase on the back wall. Fill it with rainbow color coordinated books
- add in a fireplace. We don’t have heat to the second floor and this will be really important in the winter
- add on closet doors. It’ll look much less cluttered without all the clothes showing
- furnish the room. We’re sleeping on an air mattress now so having a real bed and mattress will be huge!
I mentioned that the star of the show (or at least what I picked first that all other designs will center around) is the Birds of Paradise wallpaper. Its from Milton King and is a new style they’re carrying. I LOVE the colors- the mint, pink, and mustard! I’ll pull from those colors for the rest of the design!
To give you an idea of what I’m thinking, I pulled a few pictures to illustrate the vibe I’m going for. In this photo, I love the colors, but mostly the textures. I definitely want a soothing and serene master bedroom, but it’ll also have some whimsy and character.
Next up, I love this boho space! The hints of gold, the blue bed, the pink chairs- its all inspiring me!
Alright, I know this is a kids room, but it has that playfulness that I’m looking for! My room definitely won’t be too serious. I’m looking for pattern, whimsy, and a little fun. Because life is too serious 😉
Ok, so now you know the plan! Make sure to check back each week to see the progress (which I’ll also share on my Instagram stories). And you’ll definitely want to follow along with all of the other participants! Click through to see the rooms that they’ll be redoing!